Recently I brought a new bird box – it’s a Swift-box.
In the UK there is a declining number of swifts, although in my area where I live we are lucky enough to still have good numbers that arrive from Africa each year, they also nest very close to where my house is so I thought buying a Swift-box was a good idea to try to help the declining UK population. 🙂
The box itself came untreated so a bit of painting was in order. First I did some research about what to use on the box (I emailed the manager at the RSPB reserve that I volunteer for). The suggestion was that it should have a non-toxic water based product put on the box. Fortunately enough I had some protective decorators varnish which is water-based and very low-odor. 🙂
I proceeded to paint the box making sure I had two bits of wood to stand the box on.
I will run through the next sequence with pictures and put the explanation afterwards:
As you can see I started painting the untreated timber and then turned the box so each surface was coated; only the top of the box which is was already painted in green was left. I also painted the box twice to give it extra protection.
There is also another reason that I am putting this box up at the beginning of August. At the end of July the swifts will be going back on their long trip to Africa, I can then put the box up under the soffit so it will weather in for next year. It will hopefully be ready for these delightful and agile birds next year.
I will keep you all up to date when the box goes up and some pictures will be coming with it too! 😀