In my garden I have lots of flowers that provide bees, butterflies and other pollinators with something to snack on; my favourites of these are two beautiful flowering plants: Bellflower – Campanula and London pride – Saxifraga x urbium.
Our Bellflower grow out of the free-standing wall which has a flowerbed in it. As you can see the flowers are a brilliant violet and they run about 2/3 the length of the garden. In front of the Bellflower you can see a frame-work of canes with wire guides which the tomatoes when they are planted go up. Continue reading →
Starting on the 14th of this month and ending on the 21st is National Nest Box Week so in preparation for it I have given my boxes a spruce up and added a very small amount of bedding as a start-up for the birds. 🙂
This is our blue tit box on the conservatory, which has had birds in it every year since it first went up. 🙂
On my previous blog on painting my Swiftbox: Here I said that I was going to have to wait until the time was right to put the new box up and get it situated in the right place. Well I’m pleased to say that it’s up and I have the pictures to show you. 🙂
Firstly I had to drill 2 holes in the side of the box so that my Rawbolts would fit.
Recently I brought a new bird box – it’s a Swift-box.
In the UK there is a declining number of swifts, although in my area where I live we are lucky enough to still have good numbers that arrive from Africa each year, they also nest very close to where my house is so I thought buying a Swift-box was a good idea to try to help the declining UK population. 🙂
The box itself came untreated so a bit of painting was in order. First I did some research about what to use on the box (I emailed the manager at the RSPB reserve that I volunteer for). The suggestion was that it should have a non-toxic water based product put on the box. Fortunately enough I had some protective decorators varnish which is water-based and very low-odor. 🙂
I proceeded to paint the box making sure I had two bits of wood to stand the box on.
I will run through the next sequence with pictures and put the explanation afterwards:
As you can see I started painting the untreated timber and then turned the box so each surface was coated; only the top of the box which is was already painted in green was left. I also painted the box twice to give it extra protection.
There is also another reason that I am putting this box up at the beginning of August. At the end of July the swifts will be going back on their long trip to Africa, I can then put the box up under the soffit so it will weather in for next year. It will hopefully be ready for these delightful and agile birds next year.
I will keep you all up to date when the box goes up and some pictures will be coming with it too! 😀
Recently I’ve been reading quite a lot about how to improve my wildflower meadow. Although it is in its first year and I have not expected to much flower activity to happen I wondered if there was anything I could do to improve the diversity of flowers for the following year. This got me thinking about a book I have recently read called, “A Buzz in the Meadow” by Dave Goulson.